Tuesday, January 6, 2015

2015...January

December...well, that was marked by me recovering from a 3-4 week long respiratory infection/cold followed by the flu. 

I have typically been anti-flu vaccine, not because I thought there was something wrong with it but because, when I worked for the hospital system, we were essentially forced to take the flu vaccine. I do not respond well to being forced to do anything. I was born with a rebellious spirit (just ask  my parents) & it is something I have struggled with all my life. Another reason I didn't like the flu shot was that I would always come down with a terrible cold, which I thought was the flu, each year that I had taken the flu shot with the exception of last year. 

This year, since I no longer work for the health system, I was going to take the shot...because I wasn't being forced to. Then I got that awful respiratory thing. Then I just forgot. I will say, that after this bout of flu, I can only think of one other time where I may have had the flu. That was pretty, stinking terrible. Even when I was feeling better, I was so weak I couldn't do anything productive. Christmas day was the first day I actually felt good. Thank God that we didn't have any Christmas orders through Kapp's Kitchen. I would have hated to contact people a week before Christmas to cancel their orders. Talk about a blessing in disguise. :) Needless to say, I'll be taking the shot next year. :)

December wasn't all kleenexes & Tamiflu, however. We did manage to get in our annual Christmas lights drive and we had several Christmases this year & all of them were wonderful and we were very spoiled, as usual. I am also so very thankful for technology. Since I was sick, I stayed home from the first Christmas but was able to FaceTime for it. I also was able to FaceTime into my sister's Christmas with our parents and we were able to have one of my sisters-in-law Skype our Christmas with the Kapp's. It is amazing that despite being thousands of miles away, we can still connect with those we love. Sure beats the days of telegram & Pony Express. :)

We spent New Year's Eve at home. We were supposed to have some friends over for a game night but they were stuck by winter illness as well. It was a nice quite NYE for us. We had Kahlua Carnitas Street Tacos with homemade corn tortillas (made by Anthony) and pineapple pico de gallo. Then we watched Jurassic Park II and III. LOL Anthony got the whole trilogy for Christmas and we had watched the first one earlier that week. Good times. Can't wait for Jurassic World. :D

New Year's morning Anthony made Crème Brûlée Oatmeal and we had sparkling cranberry-apple juice. :) 

Sooooo...New Years Resolutions. I've never been one to make resolutions but I always think about my goals for the next year, which I guess is essentially the same thing. I try to break them into different categories because I am a list maker and that is how I work. :) The categories I like to consider my yearly/monthly/weekly/daily goals for are: Home, Work, Physical, Spiritual, Emotional, Mental/Educational, and Social. And...since I am a big fan of outlines, there are subcategories under each of these categories. LOL Anyway, I won't bore you with all that now. I'll be kind and make a separate post on these goals for 2015.

2015...can you believe it?! This is the year that Marty McFly visited in Back to the Future II. 2015 sounded so futuristic in the 80's and 90's. We do have some pretty fascinating technology now. Maybe no flying cars or self-drying clothes but look at what we do have. Phones that are more powerful than most mainframe computers in the past. The internet is a vital part of our day-to-day lives. Like I mentioned earlier, FaceTime and Skype to see people on the other side of the earth. Netflix, Twitter, Facebook, Amazon, Etsy, Hulu, blogs, Pinterest, iPads, Kindle, podcasts, apps and all the other new words that have entered our common vocabulary that represent how we live our lives today. The future may not have turned out as we imagined in the 80's, 90's, 50's, 40's but it is pretty fantastic, after all. 

Speaking of exciting and fantastic. We are a part of a new church plant. We will officially be meeting as The Church at Pecan Creek near the end of this month. We will be temporarily meeting at Northview Baptist Church at 5pm on Sunday nights until August when we will move to our first official location at Pecan Creek Elementary School in Corinth. We are very excited in this endeavor but we also ask for your prayers at this time. There are many challenges in starting a church, especially when we it is our mission to do so as closely to the Scriptures as we can, with holiness and integrity, not compromising in any way in Biblical doctrine while living with a spirit of mercy, grace, patience, and gentleness. We do not intend to offend or hurt anyone's feelings but we place the Gospel and living an increasingly holy life in higher importance. We hope through this adventure, we will grow in Christian maturity, encourage one another in our Christian walk, sharpen one another, hold each other accountable, show each other and those outside our circle the love, grace, and mercy that we have all had shown to us from our Father, and share the Gospel with those in our community and beyond. If you are in our area, please consider worshiping with us. If you are not, then please keep us in your prayers.

There isn't much more to say about January except keep warm. This is the month when winter really starts to set in here in Texas. Granted, most of the rest of the US laughs at us shivering in 30º and 20º weather. Of corse in the summer we laugh at the rest of you sweating in 80º and 90º weather. ;) I'm freezing right now but I am also soaking it up. I would much rather be cold than hot. I can always throw on another sweater or drink another cup of hot tea or cocoa. In the summer, there is only so much iced tea and lemonade you can drink. I guess I should just "Let it go, let it gooooo-oh..." Mwahahahahaha! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment